Composting and worm farming are great alternatives to disposing of your food waste in the rubbish bin while creating natural fertiliser for your garden. By recycling food scraps in a compost bin or worm farm you can help reduce organic waste disposed in landfill, in turn reducing the production of leachate and greenhouse gases from landfills. Compost and worm ‘castings’ are both ideal natural fertiliser for your garden.
Friday 18th October 2019
Sunday 20th October 2019
Saturday 16th November 2019
Time: 10am to 1pm
Venue: Kimbriki Eco House & Garden
The Eco House & Garden Learning Centre is located within the Kimbriki Resource Recovery Centre, Kimbriki Road, Ingleside. Access is by vehicle only – as there is no pedestrian access to Kimbriki, please arrange to arrive by vehicle. Please enter via the Weighbridge and speak to the Operator before proceeding.
Cost: $30 per person
Note: Booking fee is not refundable.
Northern Beaches Residents: Northern Beaches Council would like to support its residents in recycling food waste at home by giving you a voucher towards buying a worm farm or compost bin. Northern Beaches Council will issue a $90 voucher to Northern Beaches residents who attend a Kimbriki Composting and Worm Farm workshop, and who have not had a free worm farm, compost bin or voucher from Council in the past. One voucher per household is issued (not per person), irrespective of number of workshops attended. The vouchers are issued directly from Council after you have attended the workshop. Please allow up to 3-4 weeks for the voucher to be issued and posted to your residential address. Voucher can be used at New Leaf Nursery in Ingleside or at the Kimbriki Eco House & Garden Eco shop.
Our Composting and Worm Farm workshop covers the following topics:
– Why Compost or have a worm farm? Learn why food scraps & garden waste must be taken out of our rubbish bins
– Setting up your compost bin & worm farm
– What goes into your compost & worm farms?
– Learn different methods of composting
– Maintaining your compost & worm farm
– How to use compost, worm castings & ‘worm juice’ on your garden
– The vital role of organic matter & humus in your soil
– Outlining the human health problems associated with using synthetic fertilisers on your edible gardens
– The real difference between organic and non-organic food
– Answers to the most common problems with worm farms